The Certificate of Recognition (COR) is a nationally recognized occupational health and safety (OHS) standard.
COR began in Alberta over 20 years ago and since then, many other provinces have incorporated COR as their health and safety standard because it has proven successful in improving the health and safety of workers as well as reducing the number of workplace incidents.
The IHSA has outlined the following as the benefits of COR:
- By achieving COR™, employers are able to demonstrate to buyers of construction that their health and safety management system has been developed, implemented, and evaluated on an annual basis through comprehensive internal and external audits.
- The audit criteria used by COR™ are recognized by industries throughout Canada. Your company will be part of a nationwide network participating in and promoting health and safety excellence.
- Firms that are registered in the COR™ program may qualify ahead of others for certain jobs. Buyers of construction can make COR™ a requirement for contractors bidding on jobs in order to be more confident in the contractor’s health and safety performance.
- Protecting the health and safety of all workers at all times is the right thing to do. Effective development and maintenance of a health and safety management system is a proactive approach to eliminating workplace injuries and illnesses.
- A firm’s corporate image will be enhanced within the industry and community. Commitment to a strong culture of safety will attract safety-conscious workers.
- Providing immediate proof that you have an effective health and safety management system in place will give your organization a competitive advantage. Buyers of construction can be assured that you will bring superior safety practices to the workplace.
- Your program will comply with COR™ national standards, since all stipulations have been endorsed by participating members of the Canadian Federation of Construction Safety Associations (CFCSA).